February 5, 2011

know my bro


Erik has been an easy person to know. He's never been complicated. Having him in our family has given me an appreciation for simplicity. His conversations were rarely deep or complex, and I'm prone to that style of conversing most of the time as well. I wish I could remember more about him when we were little but I mostly just recollect that he was always there. I was born just over a year after him. I don't remember fighting or arguing much with him which is good. My younger sister and I - ha, that was another matter. But Erik's presence when we were growing up was just a natural part of life.

Now, much later, with all family members dispersed it's harder to maintain continuity. For the past 4 years Erik has lived 3 hours away from me. Other family members live farther. So most of our communication with him is over the phone or the few times of the year we see him. Just today he called and said, very haltingly, "I want see you; go over there". Hearing him say that was sweet.

But back to knowing Erik. Here are things that made him happiest:
eating food! more on that later
diet sodas -- probably too much
The Dallas Cowboys - "I'm a true fan"
His birthday - he starts talking about it months in advance
laughing and teasing
singing -- Elvis, Country music and in the choir, "The Promise Singers"
dancing
bowling
when he was young, riding his bike around the neighborhood being friendly
meeting people - never met a stranger
Chuck Norris, Mr T
his friends

I'm sure there are many I'm forgetting. Erik's age limits him so much now, it's hard for him to even get a complete sentence out. But I can tell you what he likes and that makes me happy.


1 comment:

  1. I am Becky, Erik's other younger sister. Other things that made Erik happy: Glen Campbell, the TV show Happy Days and Fonzie, and having any dog lick his face!

    ReplyDelete