March 16, 2011

Dallas Cowboys "True fan"


Erik doesn't know I'm writing a blog about him.  I'm not sure he would understand what a blog is or what it does or what the name means.  Maybe 10 years ago when his thinking was clearer he might catch on a little but now he wouldn't.   He'd like seeing pictures of himself on the computer though.


I wish he knew I was writing because I think he'd like it.  But, IF he knew, he would insist I tell you one thing.   Imagine in the picture above he's saying it:  

"I a True fan" of the Dallas Cowboys.  

(I don't know where he came up with this "true fan" expression, but he said it all the time and it's so cute)

Those of us who already know this fact will chuckle, because it's an understatement of sorts.   Erik loves this team. Most of his life, Erik felt like he was THE first and foremost fan of the Dallas Cowboys.  There was never any other team for him, only them.  When they scored Erik high-fived everyone in the room. Erik watched them, wore their colors, would call me and make sure I knew when they were playing.  If he could have worn Dallas Cowboy underwear or pajamas, I think he would have.  But he's had Dallas Cowboy socks, caps, shirts, phone holder, wallet, mugs, keychain, blankets, rugs, etc.   He missed them during offseason and would call and tell me, "Cowboys play in August". 


When Erik's best friend, Brian had a birthday, it wasn't too hard to guess what he'd give him.  Seeing Erik here - it's so sweet.  He's, of course, wearing his jersey, and is intently watching Brian's reaction to this gift.   "Wow, a Cowboy jersey!"


When Erik moved into his new home in Brownwood, this was his room...Cowboy territory.  You can't see, but there' a big screen TV on his dresser where he could watch the games.   


When  Erik found out the Cowboys were building a new stadium, oh my goodness, he was so excited.    I would show him pictures of it on the internet.   Once we drove by it while it was being constructed and he was glued to the window, with such an expression of awe.  Last year we had planned to bring Erik to town for his summer visit and tour that stadium.    Because of health problems for me we never got to do that.  I hope we'll do it this year.  Erik's mental decline has made me sad in that now when there's a Cowboy game on he doesn't follow it like he used to and it sometimes doesn't even seem to register that the game is going on.  It's not like it used to be.   When we take him to the stadium I wonder how he'll take it in.  I hope he'll be able to enjoy it.  



Here's Erik last Christmas.   We really need to stop giving him so many Cowboy things.


But that reminds me, there was one special Cowboy item he received several years ago.    Our dad was able to get Herschel Walker to sign a Cowboy T shirt specifically for Erik.    After hearing that Erik had participated in the Special Olympics, Herschel wrote on the back of it:   "To Erik, from one Olympian to another." and signed his name.  In fact, I think the shirt in the picture above is that special shirt.  For the longest time we wouldn't let him wear it because it was so important.  But he's wearing it now!

1 comment:

  1. Liz, we've been keeping up with your blog here. I hope people in similar circumstances have been reading this too, because you are doing a great job telling Erik's story, and also your story. I am sure there are many out there who can relate and who could use the understanding and support.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete