March 8, 2011

Erik's home in the country.

I've mentioned before that Erik moved 4 years ago to a group home.  He had been living on his own in a condo right across the street from his job at the hospital.    It worked ok for a while but he started to need more assistance.   So we began to look for a different situation.   Our dad heard of a group home for mentally challenged adults in Brownwood, Tx and we went to check it out.  It's called Aldersgate Enrichment Center.  

Here's a picture below of that day.   Here Erik's in the workroom discovering what some of the residents do in their jobs.   In this area, they assemble plumbing parts.  


As we checked it all out we were impressed, and Erik was very interested so we decided to move him.   To be honest, I really struggled with him living so far from us, 3 hours away.  For a long time, we could reach him quickly if he ever needed anything and that would change dramatically.   But he seemed genuinely glad to be moving to the country so that was a good sign.

Here's moving day below.   Erik got a nice furnished bedroom.  That's my husband helping with his things ... and there's Erik, glad that he can put up all his Dallas Cowboy stuff, which - if you know Erik - he could never leave home without.




Driving away from him that day was hard.   I kept wondering - would this be the right decision?   But now I know.   Erik's so happy in this place.  He lives in one of 2 group homes set high on a hill with beautiful Texas views.

He has buddies close by and there are caring house-parents around the clock.  They have devotions every morning and walk down the hill to the workrooms and do their jobs together and afterwards kick back and relax.   They eat their meals together, watch football games, sing in choir, go bowling and go to dances.   And Erik still gets to earn a paycheck, isn't that amazing?   He loves going to Walmart to cash it and buy his carton of diet sodas. 
  
We try to visit Erik as often as we can.   Here's one of our first visits after he moved in.    We're sitting outside his home and I can tell by Erik's smile he's happy.  I remember the friend on his left was so sweet to help Erik get acclimated to his new place.



I've come a long way in my feelings since we moved Erik to his group home.   I've let go of my notion that he "needed" his real family.  I now know it's the most wonderful situation for him we could ever find.   Over the years he's been there he's received love abounding.   There are the normal struggles as in any case with people having to get along, but I've learned so much from seeing him and his friends interact.  They are examples to me. 

The picture below shows Erik again outside his home with his most special friend.  This sweetie is a treasure.  She's so helpful to Erik, always making sure he's ok.      

I believe he's the only resident there currently who has Downs.  And he ended up working in the part of the workshop that assembles those plumbing parts and it fits his stage of life well.  I'm so proud of him!


I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful, I know that full well.  Psalm 139: 14

No comments:

Post a Comment