March 28, 2011

Mickey Mouse and Erik

In 2000 when Erik turned 40 our mom did a wonderful thing.    She decided he deserved something special and started planning to take him to Disneyworld.  Erik was beside himself.  He had never been there -- our Mom had never been -- and neither had I.  Well, I knew Mom's eyesight was not doing well and volunteered to go along.   Yeah, I know -- big sacrifice.  But Mom might need help, you know, reading the maps of all the wonderful Disney parks. ;-)


I'll never forget Erik's joy on this trip or the expressions on his face.   Also his total lack of fear.  He wanted to go on every scary ride he saw.   I balked at some, but..there was one ride we both rode, waited an eternity in line, but it was WORTH IT ALL - the experience on Space Mountain with Erik started my obsession with that ride.  


It was so fun to go to Epcot with my mom, who's a native Norwegian.   We loved  the Norway section and ate in the Norwegian restaurant (very interesting. You do know Norway isn't known for it's cuisine) But Mom got to speak Norwegian with the staff there and that was neat.   Also at Epcot, Germany section, there was an oompaa band that was performing with people they chose from the crowd.  They were making the people do these funny German dances dressed in funny German outfits.  Well Erik watched a bit, then suddenly handed me his drink and his fanny pack and nervously I whispered, "Erik what are you doing?"  He just pointed right to all the German dancing action and I had to tell him, "Oh, Erik, no you can't interrupt the show."   But, oh my, if I hadn't told him that I know he would have gone into the middle of the show and tried to start dancing along with the group.  But Disney just has that kind of effect on people!  You can't go there without free-falling into the very best of childhood.   And, 2 years later, when I was fortunate to go back with my husband and kids, we (kids and me) rode Space Mountain 8 times in 2 days.  sigh, that was almost 10 years ago, I need to go back. 

Pluto says he can't believe Erik is 40.


Mom and Erik on the Liberty Square Riverboat - Magic Kingdom

Waiting for the amazing firework show at Epcot.

The hotel staff knew we were celebrating his birthday.  Upon arriving back at the room after our first day out in the parks they had left a surprise gift for Erik in our room:  A birthday balloon and a Mickey Mouse photo signed by Mickey himself wishing Erik a Happy Birthday.   Erik's face was priceless, he was sure Mickey had been there and left it for him.  As Erik's 51st birthday approaches that trip remains such a sweet memory.  

1 comment:

  1. Those are great pictures of your mom and Erik. - Steve

    ReplyDelete