May 18, 2011

more on Erik's influence.

"What do you like about Erik?"  


FROM UNCLE BOB
 It has been a long time since I last saw Erik so I am not sure what he is like today.  But, one of his strengths is that he is (most of the time anyway) in a good mood, ready to joke around and tease.  
 One time when we were at Mamie's, he and I were out in the car and he started with, "Uncle Bob you are my favorite uncle."  We talked about that for a few minutes before he said,  "Oh Uncle Bob, I sure am hungry for some good old Memphis barbecue. I told him I was as well,  "I tell you what Mr. Moneybags, why don't you take me out to lunch?  I'll drive us there and you pay." ( He had been bragging about how much money he had.) "No, Uncle Bob, Mamie wants you to take me for barbecue.  I'm not supposed to pay for you."  This went on for about 10 minutes before I gave in and took him to get barbecue.  As we ate, he let me know how much he was enjoying it, and on the way out he said, "You and Uncle Ed are my favorite uncles!"  

FROM UNCLE ED
   His sweet and gentle nature...he is very sharp and has had a great memory..I always love to tease him because he takes it so well...He has a good heart.. He is an inspiration to me because I never see or hear him complain..He has a great attitude and is an example for others to follow.
FROM MY HUSBAND, MIKE 
I like that Erik is kind to people.  He's rarely cross with people, and then it's usually when it's provoked.  I like Erik because he prays for me, and I believe that God listens to him.   Erik is a hard worker who focuses on his tasks, and that's an amazing quality.  He takes initiative to express appreciation, and that's a tender thing to see in him.  Erik enjoys people, whether they be familiar friends or strangers. 
I met Erik when we were both in our young 20's and I was dating his sweet sister.  I knew by marrying Liz that Erik would play an important role in the rest of our lives together.  Being with Erik teaches me to slow down, not to be in such a rush, and to enjoy people. Having Erik as a brother in-law has also challenged me to be less self-centered and to think of others' needs.  In Erik, God has given me a constant reminder that if you extend kindness to "one the least of these, you have done it unto me."  When I read about God's defense of the weak and His calling to us to defend the weak, I know God is thinking about Erik (among many others). 
 anything else to add?
It's fun to see Erik laugh.  Yes it is!

nnnnn

"I was slightly brain damaged at birth, and I want people like me to see that they shouldn't let a disability get in the way. I want to raise awareness - I want to turn my disability into ability." - Susan Boyle



No comments:

Post a Comment