May 4, 2011

siblings in the 60's




We grew up in the 60's.  
Shag carpet and paneling were in the living room. Our mom had a crazy beehive hairdo.  Our parents listened to Herb Alpert and Frank Sinatra. In the above picture Becky and I are wearing dresses made by our dear grandmother Mamie.  Erik's holding our puppy, Hopi.  I'm guessing it was Easter Sunday and my mom must have been expecting our younger brother.


Same room, younger brother has arrived.  We're sitting on that long, white couch that seemed as large as a boat to me. 


I love these 2 pictures.  They make me think of much simpler times.   They also cause me to ask...what would our family have been like if Erik hadn't had his handicap? 


What would it have been like for us to have an older brother who filled the role of an older brother?  Would he have been bossy...or protective over us?  Would he have resembled our mom or our dad more in his personality?  What would he have pursued as a career?


Because of our situation there was a time when Erik and I were at the exact same developmental stage. Then I passed him up. I assumed the role of first born even though I was born 2nd.  So later on, I babysat endlessly, I had to be responsible but I got to be the bossy one.  (Watch out.)   


If Erik hadn't had his handicap I'm sure that today I would not be managing his legal, financial, medical or travel affairs.  If he hadn't had his handicap he might be a husband and a daddy today.  He wouldn't have needed to trust every cashier he's ever done business with -- that they are taking the correct amount of money from him and giving him the correct change back.


These 4 kids on the couch are grown up.  The baby brother is now an airline pilot and daddy, younger sister is now an involved wife and mom of 3, I'm now a wife and mom of 2...and Erik is Erik.  We love him just as he is and wouldn't change a thing about him being our brother.  His life has been amazing.  My heavenly Father is sovereign; He makes no mistakes and I'm glad to know that and trust Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment