July 5, 2011

what I needed

Dear reader,
When I started writing this blog last February I hoped people who had family members with Down syndrome would read it, especially those with siblings having Ds. At that time I was feeling alone with my concerns about Erik's future and the uncertainty of his old age.  I craved connection with others who were walking the same road.  I was thinking of writing a blog, but just thinking.  Truth be told I was nervous about the writing part, but my hope overcame my fear.  Especially after I talked to Marjorie.

Two months prior to becoming a blogger, I was fortunate to be put in touch with Marjorie, who lives about an hour away from me.  Marjorie's niece knew I had a brother with Downs and she got us connected because Marjorie's son, Pat, had had Downs.  We spoke on the phone about Pat and about Erik.  It was just what I needed - to talk with someone who understood, and hear about their journey.   She told me that Pat passed away at age 50 (Erik's age at the time).  He had been gone for almost 5 years and she still missed him every day, she said.  She wanted to know how Erik was doing physically and she understood all the things we were experiencing. Talking to her was like being wrapped up in a warm quilt of "yes, dear, I know" which she actually said.  Felt so good to hear that.


After our conversation I mailed her a copy of a newspaper article about Erik.  She sent me a copy of something written by Pat's brother, which he shared at Pat's funeral, a tribute to Pat.  When I sat down to read it, it was like opening up an even bigger door of understanding.  Pat's brother beautifully wrote about his life, what it was like having him in the family and about the end of his life.   I didn't feel alone any more.  I would like to post this beautiful tribute on my blog.  Look for it in the next few weeks--it might be just what you needed.
I hope you're all having a wonderful summer.

2 comments:

  1. wow that is heart wrenching and yes it does feel good just to know someone else really understands you and your feeling, especialy when your heart feels broke and it becomes an endless processes and the yrs go. we pray for you and your family everyday not knowing what will be next with Erik, he has been a good friend to me and brian for many yrs and feel blessed we have and do know that fun loving Erik was

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz - thank you so much for sharing your story. I am the sibling of three people with intellectual disabilities and recognize the desire to share our stories and lives with other siblings. I would love to chat with you about an organization that's recently formed for siblings. If you're interested, please contact me at stacey@sibscape.org. Thanks and keep up the great job! :)

    ReplyDelete