August 21, 2011

Sweet welcome for Erik

 Erik's smile and sweetness blesses everyone.

As I mentioned before, a few weeks ago Erik visited our house for the weekend.   Originally, he was going to return to his group home on Monday.  But due to a sudden death in my husband's family we had to change our plans; so our son and daughter ended up driving Erik back to Brownwood on Sunday evening.  Erik enjoyed being at our house but it was clear to us that he was happy to be returning to his friends.

Before his visit I had come across some old photos of Erik with friends and an awesome one with Erik dressed as Elvis receiving 1st prize at a talent show.  My daughter said he looked at those pictures over and over on the way home.  Maybe they triggered some memories for him.

When they pulled into Aldersgate Enrichment Center.  Erik, all of a sudden, was a man on a mission.   He didn't want to even take his stuff to his room, he wanted to put it down inside the door and go.   My kids persuaded him to at least take his things to his room which he grudgingly did but... after that, he charged out of the house, right over to the other group home where he knew things were happening!   He walked in, threw his hands up in the air with a huge smile - and, oh my goodness, I know if he could have he would have yelled out "Hey! Here I am!!!"

The response he got was "Erik!! you're back! we missed you, come have an ICE CREAM FLOAT!!!!"   His friends immediately started joking with him, poking each other.   They have lots of inside jokes there.  They talked about how Erik likes to "put people in jail."  He holds the door handle so they can't leave their room, all the time smiling and laughing.  (hmm, now I know why he tried to do that to my husband Saturday night.)  Penny started asking Erik,  "Erik, how many girlfriends do you have?"  Erik held up 2 fingers.  Penny is one of those 2.

Pat, who I've mentioned before in this post, told our kids he didn't know Erik would be gone that weekend and was worried about him.  Pat has become such a treasure to Erik, as are all the house moms and dads.  He helps him shave (yay!) and works with him to help him talk more.  Pat says to him "You know, if you're gonna be my friend, you've got to talk."  He is so patient with Erik because sometimes he can only get out one or two words.   Pat also remarked again about Erik's legendary appetite. (we are not surprised)  Pat said one time they were all in a restaurant and one of the residents went to the restroom and while he was in there Pat saw Erik take his plate and finish it off, then finish off his own steak, then have dessert!  He's just an eating MA-chine leaving people shaking their head in amazement.

Pat also shared how Erik gets to sing on Sunday at church.  Erik tried to tell us about that but he couldn't get out anything other than "I-I-I sing".  But from what Pat said it sounds like Erik goes up to the front during worship time and sings most Sundays. I would love to see this. Pat says it's such a beautiful sight he often finds himself crying.

What a heartwarming return for Erik!  My heart swells in gratitude that he lives in such a loving place.   In case you're interested, here's a link to the group home where Erik lives and works in the Packaging Department. (you can see his picture on that link)  I've said it before and I'll say it again, those with mental challenges often excel in loving others and that's clear in this unique community at Aldersgate.

No comments:

Post a Comment