December 14, 2011

no happy camper, Elvis and hugs

A Joyous Merry Christmas to all of you from Erik and me.


I was in the middle of baking today and suddenly felt like talking to Erik.  Called up the group home and Shirley, one of his supervisors, answered.   I asked how Erik was. She said he's been ok -- up until last night.  For some reason something bothered him in the night and he got upset and it disturbed his sleep. Made me sad. She said he sometimes has these angry episodes at work.  Shirley's his work supervisor and she said you always know when he's upset.  He'll throw things on the ground, clearly not a happy camper.  It doesn't take a long time to talk Erik back to his old self but it's frustrating because no-one really knows what set him off.   I thanked her for helping Erik so well when he's agitated.  Then Shirley told me that she had a special spot in her heart for Erik.   Lord, thank you for sweet Shirley.   


She said sometimes when they're working (assembling plumbing parts) the music will be on and Erik will sing along. But, one time Elvis' Teddy Bear song came on, and.... Oh, she said, he belted it out - singing and twisting his hips.  I wish I could have seen that. Erik has always loved Elvis. Right about then, Erik appeared in her office.  His ears had perked up as he heard her talking to me about him from the next room. so funny.  So I got to visit with him.  He's happy about Christmas coming.


I've learned from Erik's past few visits that being away from the group home is harder and harder for him.  I think many of the residents who live there are the same, they're eager to get back.  When Erik was here over Thanksgiving he appeared very sad. I asked him if he missed Aldersgate and he nodded.  I told him he was going back real soon which made him visibly happier.  


 Returning Erik after his break, my hubby and I unpacked his case in his room, spoke to the weekend houseparent on duty.  We stepped outdoors to go see what was happening at the other house.   Outside in the other yard we saw Penny and Roxanne (2 residents) walking the dog.  Well, Erik started RUNNING over to Penny with his arms outstretched wide, and Penny smiled real big and RAN over to Erik with a huge hug....it was like watching a scene from a movie!  (note: Erik never runs anywhere; his normal speed is slo-o-o-w)  Penny hugged us real hard and told me, "I watch out for him, I always make sure he's ok".  Oh Lord, thank you also for Penny, the "Little Mama" of the group home.  Delight to our hearts.


Erik and Penny, taken in '08.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing such a sweet story.

    XO Dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, my name is Diane and I found your blog since I was trying to find people who may be a silbing of an individual with DS. I am 54 and my sister Kathy is 56. She is obviously older and always made me aware that she is the older sibling. We have always had a very special bond with each other. As though God had a very special plan for our family. We have been inseparable until recently.
    My parents passed away at very young ages. Our mom at 47 and our dad 14 months after her at the age of 51. Way too young!! It always seemed to me that I was put on this Earth to be my sister's keeper. Thanks to my wonderful husband (we had only been married a very short time when we lost our parents) he wouldn't have it any other way but to have Kathy stay and continue to be our family. We did this for 32 years. Kathy helped us raise our family. My 3 boys (who are now young men) feel so gifted to have had their Aunt Kathy be apart of their family. They know no different and wouldn't have it any other way.
    Over the last few years I started to see changes in Kathy as she started to age. She was becoming very forgetful. I work full time so it became a big concern that Kathy needed more superision.Up to that point Kathy was self-sufficient. She went to day program, came home and took care of herself for a couple of hours till my husband or I came home. Most of the time at least one of the boys would be there to look after her as well. The boys are now out of the house and Kathy had been alone and her memory was failing her. We had no choice but to find a group home placement. We did and it is a great house. The residents are all super. Kathy likes it there but has had a hard time adjusting to me and my family not being there as it used to be. More difficult than that is the emptiness I feel not having her around. It's been difficult but I know she needs the care I cannot provide for her since I need to work. It is even more difficult to see her aging the way she is. It just doesn't seem fair. Don't they have enough issues?? Anyway, I could just keep going on and on telling you about our day to day happenings and how much joy and love Kathy has brought to our whole family. God is by our side and hand picked the families for these special individuals. I am so......lucky to have been picked for my Big Sister Kathy!!! <3 <3
    Thank you for sharing your story. I know exactly what your life has been like. You were hand picked too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane, thank you for your note!! I want to respond but it would take too long here so hoping you won't mind if I ask you to email me at m.sobolik@verizon.net so I can obtain your email address and reply over email. I am so glad you wrote and shared about Kathy. I hope you get this message!!

    ReplyDelete