March 28, 2012

Special visitor for Erik

Yesterday Erik received special visitors.  A friend who I've known for a few years has a 16-yr old son with Downs.  She had been wanting to meet Erik for a while and for her son Collin to meet him...and... yesterday was the DAY.   Erik and I waited for them in the lobby and - wouldn't you know, they came in and both Erik and Collin were in red shirts.  They looked like buddies already.   Collin's like most kids with Ds, he befriends you the instant you meet him.   Collin reached out to Erik with such kindness.   I wish Erik could have gained the use of his words for one day to be able to talk with Collin.  They could have talked about the many things they have in common.   Both like food, like sports, like to dance and both wear glasses.   But Collin likes babies~!  Erik, not so much.    But, you know, Erik used to be a young dude; I don't often think of that.  Collin helped me remember him in that way.

Here we are on the way to Erik's room.

So cute!!! Collin was the SWEETEST!  The four of us played the balloon volleyball game in Erik's room. Oh, and we tasted blueberry pomegranate juice from Erik's fridge.  (I had forgotten to bring cokes AGAIN!)  Erik wasn't so hot on the juice, but I think Collin liked it.  I should have given it to him.  I know Erik won't touch it again.

Even though Erik was a little quiet I think he enjoyed it.  Here they are before saying goodbye.  

How could you resist such happy faces?  Collin's arm gesture is his signature photo pose.  I like it!
Coming soon, I have many new stories to share about Erik.  Get ready...

No comments:

Post a Comment