July 22, 2012

Learn the Clues Again, Liz!

This afternoon I went to visit Erik and found him, again, sacked out on his bed.  Sleeping comfortably, which made me happy.  
He soon woke up. Blinked several times when he saw me sitting there and we ended up having a sweet time together.   I was able to cut his toenails, threw in a little foot massage, tried to floss his lower teeth and persuaded him to brush his teeth a bit.  (Dentist visit coming soon, dreading.  We haven't brushed his teeth enough, I just know it.)


But I digress. Mostly today I learned that I need to pay attention to the same clues I used to readily attend to when my kids were babies, which seems about a hundred years ago.


Since Erik is becoming more childlike in his physical needs he has to receive help.  The staff at his facility are wonderful.  They don't cut his nails or give foot massages though -- that's special.  Family's privilege.  And I have to admit, I feel like it's an honor to do that for him.  I wouldn't have thought I'd ever say that in my earlier days.


But Erik's caregivers will help him when he, how do I say, needs changing.   Today I didn't notice those clues right away.  I should have.  They were pretty much the same ones my little babies displayed when they needed help in this area, but without the crying.   Now I know why Erik looked a bit frustrated from time to time during my visit.  It's a blessing he's sweet and patient with me.   No staff happened to stopped by to check on him but we got everything taken care of and Erik was smiling and I felt glad he was happy.  Just like when my little baby was changed, and I couldn't help but smother their little feet with kisses-- full of love to tend to whatever was needed.   I didn't kiss Erik's feet but I did kiss his cheek.  


I used to hear people talk about caring for elderly family members and remark what a privilege it was.  I never fully understood, because then, that kind of care for someone seemed so intimate and just, hard.   I don't care for Erik perfectly at all but I'm learning.  Aren't we all?  I expect others out there tending to older family or handicapped family are too.  
And my God will fully satisfy every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.  Philippians 4:19

1 comment:

  1. Bless you Liz! I look forward to seeing you AND Erik tomorrow! My dog Benji will kiss Erik's feet - feet are his favorite thing!

    ReplyDelete