August 1, 2012

Special Olympics

In honor of the 2012 London Olympic Games I decided to share these 2 pictures of the Olympian in our family. Erik participated in the Special Olympics when he was growing up, back when the organization was in its early days. I wish I could share more details about his involvement but don't know much about it. I do recall he traveled to New York State to compete and I believe that's where the first picture below is taken. I also know he competed in track and field and later, in bowling events. 
Erik, on the right, with his medal.  I think he still has that medal in his room today.

I looked up the Mission Statement of the Special Olympics and loved what I found:
The mission of Special Olympics is to provide year-round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities, giving them continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy and participate in a sharing of gifts, skills and friendship with their families, other Special Olympics athletes and the community.  

Erik personified the Sp. Olympics mission:  demonstrate courage and experience joy.
For years Erik would proudly tell everyone he met about his Special Olympics experience.  What an amazing organization.  (Here, link to their website.)

No comments:

Post a Comment