September 12, 2012

Rehab

I last left you when Erik was getting adjusted to life in the Rehab nursing facility.  He's been there 5 days and it's a busy, focused place.   Some impressions:

Wheelchairs.  I wish they could recline like Lazy Boy chairs.  Erik would like to nap.

Therapists.   They are sweet people.  Sweet Sweet Sweet.  They want you to improve and patiently nurture you to try.  They are becoming dear friends.

Nurses.  They have been our comforters and friends too.

Doctors.  They appear and help and get things done.

Favorite hats:  Erik was a little out of sorts until I brought his Dallas Cowboy hat to him.  He holds it and looks at it most of the day and it makes him happier.

Rehab Residents:  Those who need healing are all around us.   Whether their wounds are visible or not. 

Location:  Having Erik 5 minutes away from our house is a God-send.

My Heavenly Father:  The One on Whom I lean all day long.  We need Him.

When Erik first entered the rehab I wasn't sure I liked it at all.  It was so busy but no one was helping us learn the ropes.  I know now that there were many people being checked in that day and only so many people to go around.   After a few days there I've seen how Erik is being cared for my opinion has changed.  A speech therapist helps him eat his meals.  An occupational therapist does too.  A physical therapist helps his muscles work.   Even when Erik's in pain, they find a way to help him progress.  And he was in pain yesterday.   A skin infection developed an abscess on it.  That's not good.  I was in Erik's room when a new doctor came in, looked at it and made things happen.  Erik needed stronger antibiotics and quick.   A PICC IV was put in his arm, threaded close to his heart and medicine administered.  He'll continue to get it for 7 days.  This morning when I saw him I already noticed improvement.  Praise the Lord.   

He is reluctant to feed himself.  He gets tired. Or can't remember how. It's sad.  But that's a goal to work on.  He's having a hard time holding his head up.  Heads are heavy, especially when you're tired.   Many people there spend their days in wheelchairs, like Erik.  I understand now why they look so tired.  They are working hard just to be sitting and their body healing.  When I see other elderly people using walkers to get around, I find myself thinking, "Wow, that person's so strong!!".

Erik is becoming a sweetheart to the staff.  Sometimes when they walk by you can hear him say "Hi!"  He smiled at me more today than in the past 5 days. That was a treasure to me.  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment