October 7, 2012

Accept today


Before now I hadn't spent lots of time in the company of those who were feeble or real advanced in age.  Erik is only one year older than me but that's how I'd categorize him today.  Before his 3 seizures he wasn't bounding with energy; but he did swim in our pool only last July.  And we'd often throw the football back and forth in his room.  We teased each other and laugh a lot and sing.  That now seem so unattainable.  I'm missing those times. 

Erik today is very centered on sitting in his chair, holding his Cowboy hat (or football) in his hand, napping, taking his meds, trying to eat and sort of stroking his left leg which, I believe, bothers him often.  He's not in rehab anymore, but moved to the 24 hr nursing care wing.  When I'm there, I'm not sure he's able to connect me with any memories.  But I want to see him anyway, hold his hand, help him in any way I can.  It's hard to know what to do to brighten his day.  I've been playing some of his favorite songs on my phone but now even that doesn't seem to register with him.   I'm learning to accept whatever today gives and that's ok, but not always easy.

This stage of his life is not headed towards recovery.  But Erik continues to amaze me.  The Lord uses him to teach me about compassion and simplicity.  Those who work with him in Long Term Nursing Care every day humble me and fill me with gratitude.  Erik has been loved everywhere he's lived and that's still the case now.  I think certain nurses and helpers get special smiles from him.

Erik really likes this football
I caught him napping this past week with his soft Cowboy blanket.  He was sleeping so well.
If you think of it, please pray for Erik's leg, that the blood clot would be resolved, he'd not be in pain and for him to eat better.   Thank you.

To end on a happier note, let me share pictures of this dude, living life to the full.

Erik dressed as Elvis for a talent show.  I think he sang Blue Suede Shoes. He won first place!  How could he not?
another talent show, Erik giving it his all.
Colorado fishing and Erik hooked a good one.
 Love, Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment