October 31, 2012

Welcome change

After several days of Erik being withdrawn, struggling with pain or fatigue, today was a welcome change.

When I went to see him at lunch he was eating well and seemed comfortable.

When I sat with him in the hallway afterward he was calm, alert, looked at me and smiled a bit.  This was precious.  You miss eye contact when it's rare.

His leg didn't seem to be bothering him as much and he wasn't as tired.  In fact, he was awake most of the morning, I was told, and was still awake when I left.

He pointed to various people as they walked by.
He noticed some balloons down the hall and pointed to them.
Erik said "Hi!" to a nurse at the nurses's station.  I'm jealous.

But the BEST thing that happened was...we were sitting in the hall visiting with some ladies and FOUR therapy dogs dressed in little costumes came to see us.
A little smile from Erik.  This collie was all dressed up as a fairy.
So sweet.
This one kept kissing Erik's hand.
I loved watching Erik tilt his head to look at this face as he stroked her.
What a blessing they were!

Erik's glasses were dirty so I went to clean them and came back drying them with a towel our sister gave him.  It's embroidered with a football and his name.  He seemed to like holding it and showing it to people.  I'm grateful that he seemed a little more like himself today and was more aware of the world around him.  Rejoicing.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment