November 8, 2012

The Beauty of Letters

Hello, everyone.  I hope this finds you well and enjoying this wonderful season.  I got to open a time capsule last week!  First, some background:  In the mid-80's when Erik was about 22 years old he resided in Dallas in a group home.  He lived with two or three other young men who had Down syndrome. They were cared for by houseparents and they all became very close to each other.  Erik still worked at the hospital in Irving during this time and, if I'm not mistaken, he took buses to and from work. Back then, he was a wiz at bus schedules; and TV guide schedules for that matter.

 During this time - in 1983-84 - Mike and I were engaged.  We were separated from one another; he in College Station, me in Irving. I wrote him pages and paaaages of letters. Long distance phone calls cost an arm and a leg back then.  Well, last week I didn't feel well; so while resting one afternoon I decided to dig into the bulging box of letters.   Along with the pining of love and telling Mike how much I missed him, I found several references to Erik. Oh my goodness, what sweet memories. Many which I'd totally forgotten.  I treasure these little stories even more today since Erik and I spend lots of time together but his Alzheimer's robs us of the gift of conversation. Would you like to read some of my treasures? 

I talked to Erik a little while ago and asked him to pray for you.  He said he would.  He said, “I miss Mike”  I said “So do I".  I told him you were coming Easter and he quickly reminded me of his birthday and that he wants a present. 


Saturday night we’re celebrating Mamie’s and Erik’s birthdays.  Erik’s birthday is the 23rd and Mamie’s is the 24th.  I know what I’m going to get Erik – yesterday when we drove to Ennis he said he needed a portable fan.  (at first I thought he said “van” and I screamed “Erik I can’t afford a van!”)  

Last night (Sat) it rained so hard for a long time there were tornado warnings all over our area.  Marble size (and bigger) hail fell on our house and I was in the den and it came down the chimney.  Erik and I were the only ones home and he was talking to Bernadette for HOURS and then he went into the kitchen and I heard him saying something, I don’t know what.  But I asked him WHO was he talking to?  A couple of minutes later he informed me he was talking to God.

Erik and I are having fun. He always does little things for me.  He LOVES to scare me!  I don’t know why.  Yesterday I picked him up from work and there were Christmas carols on the radio and he sang his heart out to me, It was great.  But when I sing for him it’s “Wiz, don’t sing!!"... Erik just opened a Christmas present from a close friend, Old Spice!

Today Erik and I went shopping at my favorite mall in Dallas, North Park.  I got to exchange some clothes.  Erik was so patient, he had to wait for me often ... I’ve got to stop writing and go to sleep.  I’m getting up early this week to take Erik to work and sing to him.  He’ll love it, I’m sure!

I talked to Erik on the phone and he asked how you were... and told me he prayed to God for me.

Erik told me on the phone yesterday, “Liz, I sure miss ya”

It was so funny – yesterday Erik and I were together and I told him I would be scared and lonely if he wouldn’t stay with me when our parents were gone and Erik said “Liz, Rolfe is there!”  I said, “But I need you too”.  He said, “Oh, all right.”  (I really have no memory of who Rolfe is, I think it was a stuffed animal)

Last night Erik called me and we had fun talking.  He wants me to bake him some chocolate chip cookies.  I want to do it but I don’t want to eat them so you may be getting some from me in the next 2 weeks.  How’s that?


When I was a little, little girl, and lived in or old house in Irving one day Erik and I somehow wandered out of our house and went next door.  I don’t know how we managed but we got into their backyard and went over to their pool.  (yes, very scary, we didn’t know how to swim and nobody knew we were there)  Well, Dad was in our backyard and happened to look across the fence and saw Erik and I.  He screamed because we were squatting on the edge of the pool looking intently into the deep end.  We had both thrown our shoes and socks in the deep end!!! Dad rushed over and got us.

I just gave the short letter you wrote to Erik to him and he read it almost all by himself!

Oh, I visited Erik today.  Mike, he has a beard and a mustache!!  I HOPE it’s gone by the time you come but I fear that it won’t be.

Ah, the beauty of letters. Especially revisiting them after almost 30 years.  I'm so thankful for my brother.  Blessings to you today.

Psalm 139:16  All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.










No comments:

Post a Comment