February 12, 2012

Is Erik talking more?

I walked in to Erik's assisted living facility today right in the middle of the Sunday church service.  Erik was seated on a couch between 2 ladies who love to "mother" everyone.   He was in great hands, singing and participating.  I pulled up a chair nearby and Erik was so cute, looking over at me and waving in his little, cute way. 


Afterward, in his room, we put away his laundry and just spent time together.   He seemed in good spirits.  He did the usual things, pointed to things in his room he wanted me to notice.  He tried to tease me and succeeded royally. Anytime I can get Erik to burst out laughing I rejoice. He laughed much. At my expense. 


Then he went and got this Dallas Cowboy hat and came over and put it on my head.



So I went and got another Cowboy hat and put it on him and - to my delight - immediately he said, "Howdy Ma'am!"   



Ahhhh, how wonderful to see some of his personality come out in verbal form! 


We were looking at all his medals.  He tried and tried to speak and finally came out with, "I ran track".   I was so excited and pointed out the medal he won at the Special Olympics and put it around his neck.   He's probably wearing it right now at dinner, showing it off to everyone.  I hope so.

2 comments:

  1. Precious moments - treasure everyone of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your heart. LOVE the way you love this sweet, sweet brother of yours! Thanks for letting us into your world~ it's a blessing, for sure.

    ReplyDelete