August 10, 2012

Expectations adjusted

I can't believe that it's been 6 months since Erik moved from the group home in central Texas where he lived for 5 years to an assisted living facility nearby our home.   Talk about time flying.   We've settled into a rhythm and I still see Erik several times a week.  When I'm not there, he's constantly on my mind.    His sweet nature has been such a bonus during this time except that lately I've been wondering if we're headed for choppier seas.    Several times over the past 2 weeks, he has been angry, even uncooperative, and it's so hard to know how to help him. 

This has been a lesson in faith for me as I visit Erik.  Expectations need to be adjusted.  My thoughts:  How will he show his displeasure to me today?   Usually it's when I have to leave him.  One day it was while I was putting his clean clothes back into his dresser.  The worst is when we have to take him back to his home, he's been refusing to get out of the car.

I took our sister's dog to visit him twice.  Another visit we did some crafts together.  Another visit he enjoyed teasing Mike.  During all these visits we had moments when Erik was laughing and seemed happy but he'd change suddenly and he wasn't anymore.   Tough love was easier when I was teaching my own kids to cooperate.  Alzheimer's is giving me many lessons in tough love.

Yesterday I visited during the morning and he was sound asleep.  He roused once, blinked real big and saw me sitting there but couldn't fight the sleep, he went back in for another nap.  So I left knowing I'd be back today to collect  his laundry.  Today I found him and boy, he seemed like a new Erik!   Smiling, even speaking a bit.  I was rejoicing inside, he really seemed content and wouldn't stop smiling.  Thank you Lord.   But that smart guy just knew when I was close to leaving and he had a hard time again.  But I have faith that we are going to get through all these new experiences and Erik is going to be ok.  God is faithful.

no more smiling, at least for now.


From earlier:
Erik and Benji
Erik and Benji again, this time after Erik's accident,
We strung beads and hung them from his window so the sun shines through.
Watch out, Erik's about to tickle you.

No comments:

Post a Comment