March 16, 2012

Erik's Sweeter Than Sugar.

Erik and my son playing catch.  As he threw each pass Erik would assume a tough, "don't mess with me" look on his face.
He looks serious but you can be sure he was about to tease someone with that balloon.
Remember the "fill my fridge" plea?  Well, it worked -- look at how happy he is.   He went through those sodas like the government goes through money.  I know he needs more, I can just feel it in my bones. 
Like my new haircut?

What can I report about Erik these past few weeks?  Well, he's becoming the gentleman of Elmcroft.   He just enjoys showing kindness to everybody.  But isn't that what you normally hear about those with Downs?   I've heard how he's danced with one lady and showed up in the dining room with a lady on each arm.  He sits with a group of men during meals, men who are intent on eating, not talking and that suits him.  But the rest of the day, the precious lady-friends who dote on him are such a gift.  so grateful!

One day this past week as we were doing something he asked out of the blue, "How's Becky?" (our sister).  He hasn't been able to ask me a question like that in a long time.   He's often giving me little things with the sweetest look of "this is for you" -- mostly snacks that he doesn't want to eat, crackers, etc.  Every time I leave his facility he wants to walk me to the front door and hold it open for me.  I think HE is spoiling ME.

Tonight my husband and I stopped by and Erik noticed I hadn't brought any sodas!!  (I forgot...again)  I asked him if he was going to be sad and cry.  He immediately said, "Boo-hoo-hoo" and then smiled.  :)  More sodas are promised tomorrow.

Ps 115:15. May you be blessed by the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment