June 5, 2012

Mom's visit


Over Memorial Day our mother visited us from Colorado for a few days.   I had mentioned to Erik that she was coming but knew he probably wouldn't remember.  She arrived and we went to his room but he wasn't there.  So we set out to find him.  He was sitting at his normal seat in the dining room even though it wasn't mealtime.  He was digesting his delicious lunch, I guess.

Erik, look who's here!
big hug
I asked, "Would you like to come over to swim and eat dinner?"    
I was so thrilled to see Erik take to the water again.  He got in very slowly but once he was in and felt safe with his 2 noodles to hold him up he went to town!  Back and forth, to the deep end and back to the shallow end, splashing my husband along the way and grinning like crazy.  Oh, it made me so happy.  He even swam without the noodles a few times, not putting his head underwater, but he did a few laps.  It was great.


While Mom was here we took Erik to another eyeglass place.  We still need to replace his glasses because the lenses are not secure in his current frames.  Did you know that there are special eyeglass frames available specifically for those who have Down Syndrome?  We found a place not far from us that offers them and now we're waiting for our order to arrive.  If you notice, in most of the pictures of Erik, his glasses have slipped down on his nose; they just don't stay up.  Hopefully the new ones won't do that.  Erik is going to be ONE handsome dude.  Here is the link for those special glasses. 


My other goal for the summer is to get Erik to a dentist.  I found one through a referral who has several patients with special needs/Alzheimer's.  I have an appointment set up and I can't wait for his teeth to be cleaned.  I'm hoping- hoping- hoping they're in good shape.


Happy Summer to all of you!






No comments:

Post a Comment