September 17, 2012

Good Things

Well, what can I write today about our Erik?  There is much for me to be thankful for.

-- Erik has been moved to a private room.  The staff in the new hallway has taken to Erik well, I think they liked him right away.

-- he's still receiving the strong antibiotics via his PICC line twice a day and the meds seem to be getting the job done.  Only has TWO more doses to go.  
here's Erik last week, receiving his meds, in his new VIP private room. :)
-- Over the past weekend, Erik's PICC line entry site somehow became agitated and it got all bloody.   He got new bandages and dressings and endured it like a champ.


--  Erik was shaved today and I didn't have to do it.  Someone did it while I was home for lunch and he looks great.  Whew.

--  We haven't noticed any new seizures. 

--  Before church yesterday I was blessed enormously by a woman who's a patient in the rehab.  I first saw her last week when Erik was residing in the other hallway.  She was sitting in a wheelchair, just being still.  Her face was bruised everywhere and there was a large swollen goose-egg on her forehead where she had fallen, truly heart-wrenching.   Yesterday as I was wheeling Erik around the building I heard a woman quoting Bible verses out loud, purely for her own benefit -  promises from God.  It was her, the same lady, her bruises still there but much less visible.  I was amazed, kept walking but then doubled back and went over to her, leaned down asked her to tell me her verses.  She proceeded to quote verse after verse: of God's faithfulness to answer when we ask Him, of believing and of His goodness.  I'll never forget that. 

-- Another wonderful thing happened this morning.  I got there later than I wished due to some workers in our home. On arriving I noticed Erik wasn't in his room, so I looked in the therapy gym and he was there.  He was at a bike machine, but his therapist immediately, excitedly pointed to another therapist nearby and declared that I HAD to go see her video of Erik.  I was eager because clearly something good had happened.  I went over and she showed me a short video of Erik WALKING around the halls!!!  Not just a few steps but a long walk. He was going going going! Wow! They video'd it for me since I missed it.  Oh~yes!  With his helpers at each side, Erik walked around 2 and half hallways, got tired, sat down and made those therapist's day.  And ours.  Erik hasn't really walked upright since before Labor Day.   Let's hope for more mornings like this for him.
here he is (sorry, I know it's blurry):


-- Erik's future has been so uncertain to us in these past few weeks, much mental anguish going on in our minds.  But after his therapy this morning we were in his room while he was getting his IV meds and the nurse from his assisted living facility walked in.  Wonderful to see her!  She told me how much everyone missed him and that they all want him back.   She helped me to not be so worried about where he'll be when he leaves the rehab, shared with me with options that are available right in current assisted living facility and I felt better.   She also told me about a woman who lives there who lives down the hall from Erik. A woman I really don't know at all, she doesn't leave her room much.  But she has really taken a liking to Erik, it seems.  She would DOTE on him, I was told today.  She'd help him at mealtimes, making sure he had all he needed.  Ah, so sweet, and I never knew.  Well, since Erik's not been there for over 2 weeks this woman is missing him so much she's sitting IN his chair at meals with 3 old men -- who are not the cleanest of eaters.  Well, we need to get Erik back there so his adopted mom can give him ALL her love.

still to work on:  Erik's not having the best appetite.  We think he's losing some weight.  Some meals he's interested in food and others he just wants to sleep through, even when bribed with chocolate ice cream.  

All for now.  Thank you again for your care for Erik. We know many of you are praying and we value that so greatly.


4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this blog, Liz. My DS sister is 55, and experiencing the same aging issues as Erik. It breaks my heart, and I have had some angry discussions (lectures by me?) with God. A verse in this week's Gospel (Mark 8:34) spoke to my heart: "If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me." Your blog also helped me. Thank you for keeping it up, and God Bless you and Erik!
    .
    We're half Norwegian, too! :)
    .

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear from you!! I hope your sister is ok. This stage of life for our loved ones is hard. We need God's help every day for strength and wisdom and just about everything else.
    Can't believe you're Norwegian too. So neat.
    Blessings on you and your sister. I would love to know more about her.
    (have you contacted me before?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't contacted you before, Liz; I just discovered your wonderful blog. What is your email address, please? (I'd rather contact you directly, if possible.)

    Thanks again for all your work -- for this blog, and more importantly for Erik!
    .

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, please write when possible. Liz
    m.sobolik@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete