February 17, 2011

"I know all the words"

You know, I wonder if others with Down's sing the way Erik sings. It's quite a unique experience. If you ever heard him sing you'd think he didn't know ANY of the words of the song or how to keep time because he's a little "off". But he'd be singing in such a sincere way you'd start to think maybe you are the one who has the words wrong, it's just so cute to see him give it his all. And, oh my, does this boy like music? When he worked at the hospital and they'd hold talent shows he'd dress up as Elvis or George Strait and give it all he had. Wish I had pictures of that to show you.

Erik lived with our family for a while in 2006. I'd drive him to to work in the wee hours of the morning and we'd listen to a CD with hymns together and sing them all the way there and back home that afternoon. Hearing Erik's praises to the Lord must bring such delight to Him. Oh... such a precious time. The picture here is of the time Erik lived with us. Our sister, Becky, sent him an ipod shuffle that her kids weren't using and we put some Johnny Cash on it and gave it to Erik. He put those earbuds in and off he went, as I took this picture -- I wish I knew what particular song he was singing. Once our dad asked him about his singing and Erik intently said "I know all the words"! Well, between you and me, I don't think he did, but it mattered not at all because Erik singing is such a sweet, joyful thing. Last Christmas Eve he went to church with Dad and Carol, our stepmom, and they said he again - gave it all he had. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment