February 3, 2011

Can this connect us to each other?

I do not consider myself a good writer at all, but many things prompted me to start this blog. The main thing is, of course, Erik's life. He's the first-born of 4 (I came after him). His life is an amazing story of what a dis-abled person can achieve. In his case, he achieved far more than anyone could predict. He's been very blessed, had good health, some education, was a Boy Scout, participated in Special Olympics, and the most impressive things of all, held a job at a hospital for over 2 decades. But now he's growing older. About 4 years ago we started seeing signs of confusion. It was time for him to retire from his job. Last April he turned 50. Quite rare for someone like him to reach that milestone. And now he's showing some advanced stages of old age, it breaks my heart. And it make me wonder what's in the near future for him and for us. It seems like there is almost no support for families of adults with Downs syndrome or a way to connect us to each other. Maybe this will be a way.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the blogging world Liz! I pray that you are able to connect with others through your blog. Like I've told you before, I would be lost without my D-Moms and D-Dads!

    ReplyDelete