March 3, 2011

Down Syndrome: Expectations exceeded

Many who have Ds in their family wonder if their loved one will ever get to live a normal life.  Many do - they exceed their expectations.   There are challenges with having a handicapped family member but when you look back on their life and see their accomplishment, it gives cause to be grateful.

Erik was my parent's first child.   When he was born in 1960 it was clear that he was handicapped.  The doctors actually sedated my mother out so she wouldn't know right away.    It took days later for her to find out.  My parents were advised to put this baby in an institution, the common occurrence back then.  
They were shaken-up but took him home, loved him and treated him like any other baby.    A few years later they were able to give him occupational training at a special school near our house.  

I've mentioned before that Erik worked at a large hospital for a loooong time, over 25 years.    I don't remember when he started that job - I was probably in high school though.   His job was a perfect fit and he loved it.   I'm not sure but I think he started out cleaning the floors.   He had a hard time with the buffing machine or something so for the majority of those years Erik worked in the laundry department, collecting linens.   This was great for him because it meant he got to make the rounds all over the hospital, seeing friends along the way.  As you know a hospital is like a miniature city and he knew it like the back of his hand. 

I remember: he'd come home from his workday, settle down to rest with a diet soda and sigh a big sigh like he'd done a good day's work -- which he had:  arriving at 6 a.m, walking long distances and lifting heavy loads.   He was strong as a horse.

People with Downs make the most wonderful employees.  Erik was always on time, rarely sick, extremely dependable.   He received "Employee of the Month" awards frequently.   Do I sound like I'm bragging?? 
   
Last November Erik was visiting us and he wanted to go back to the hospital and see it.   As we were walking down a main hallway we came across the employee wall.   Erik's picture is still on it even though he retired 4 years ago.   Here he is:




And here's the man! wearing his uniform, ready to do his job.    This makes me smile, it was obviously taken during his "I want to grow a mustache and be my own man" stage.   Shaving was never something Erik relished.



Do any of you know of any other handicapped young adults who are being productive employees?    There's a young man at my local grocery store who has a mental handicap.  He bags groceries and is such a sweetie.  He always tells the ladies that they're gorgeous and calls everyone his favorite customer.  People love him! (of course, wouldn't you?)  He amazes me and makes me think of Erik every time I'm there.  I love love love seeing businesses hire handicapped people.

2 comments:

  1. What a delightful guy! Brings joy along where ever he goes! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful story. Looks like Erik shares his heart with everyone ... we could all take a page from that book! I hope my son Eric grows up to share as much of himself as your brother does.

    ReplyDelete