January 16, 2012

This In-Between Time

Dear everyone,  Hello!  First of all I wanted to say that I was thrilled to see the recent comments on this blog from Jenn and Diane. They shared a bit of their story of having an adult sibling with Down syndrome (the very people I hoped to find through this blog!).  I rejoiced in meeting another person who "gets it", as Jenn said.  How I wish I could have long talks with both of you.


Secondly, it has been an intense few weeks.  I wrote in this post about needing to find another home for Erik and that has been my primary focus.  I'm happy to say we have a new home for him all lined up and even have a move-in date on the calendar.  In less than 2 weeks he'll be living a short drive away in an assisted living facility where he'll get hands-on care, activities, new friends and, of course, more time with moi


Now that the decision is made and the papers are signed the days are full of writing lists, purchasing what he'll need for his room, organizing the move, communicating with family members and the staff at Aldersgate, acquiring legal forms, and ... resting.


I feel a bit out of sync, wondering what's ahead, not really knowing what to write at present.  This makes me think of last February when I (very) tentatively began writing about my brother.  Recording the story of Erik has been so helpful for me --- it has allowed me to lift memories about Erik out of my heart 'n mind and send them to ... whoever's out there.   That anyone reads this amazes me and fills me with gratitude. 


Thank you for your prayers for Erik.  Please continue to pray for his adjustment as the move approaches, you lovely friends







1 comment:

  1. Praying for you and your family. Feel free to email anytime :) jenniferc.cowgill@gmail.com. I have been super busy and have not set up the facebook page yet, but I still plan on doing that.

    ReplyDelete