January 5, 2012

What mental handicap?



Over Erik's life he's managed to surprise us countless times with things we just didn't expect.  It's fun to think back on these memories now when we're missing the old Erik.    Let me tell you a few unexpected things he has said.

"I think he's got it!"
Many years ago our dad took Erik to get a hearing test.   Erik was set up with large headphones attached to machines.  The technician said "Erik, repeat into the microphone after me."  He'd say a simple word like "window".  And Erik seriously repeated, "window".  This continued with other easy words while dad observed.  Then the technician stopped to adjust the machines and Erik, all of a sudden, got a gleam in his eye and slowly said into microphone, "The Rain in Spain Stays Mainly in the Plain!"   Well that got a round of laughter in the lab.

"Call me cultured"
On another occasion, many years later, Erik was visiting our mom in Colorado.  They were in Breckenridge walking around downtown, enjoying the shops.  They entered a shop with some classical music playing, and before mom and the saleslady knew it Erik nonchalantly said, "Oh! Beethoven."  Well, would you believe it, it WAS Beethoven's symphony playing.   Now, how did Erik know that?  I'd expect him to recognize Elvis, Johnny Cash or a few other artists, but Beethoven?

"Breckenridge needs me"
Well, later that same day after impressing the women with his cultural refinement Erik was feeling pretty good about Breckenridge.  So, as they were walking around, he declared to Mom, "I think I'll retire here!"  Mom laughed and agreed it was a pretty good place to do that.  So Erik found a realtor's office, went inside, and told the realtor he wanted to buy a retirement home.   She played along with Erik and that ended up being a great visit to Colorado for him and for Mom.

 "A man who knows what he wants"
On another trip to Colorado Mom and Erik were visiting a town near her house for breakfast.   They sat down, opened their menus and mom started to read the items to help Erik choose his breakfast.  Erik interrupted her with a decided,  "I'll have the Eggs New Orleans."   Okay, mom was, again, amazed.  We always knew Erik was not a strong reader but when it came to reading the TV Guide or a restaurant menu we needn't have worried about him at all.

There are so many more stories like this I could write. What a blessing to have a someone like him in our family.

Last November it was wonderful to see Erik explode with laughter after he bopped Mike's face with the paper football which he did many times, I might add.

2 comments:

  1. Hi-- my name is Jenn and I also have a brother with Down Syndrome. My brother, sister, and I are in our 30s. Anyway, I am trying to connect with other adult siblings. I am thinking of starting a facebook page for adult sibs. Is this something that you would be interested in? Or do you know of one that already exists? I don't know a lot of people in our situation and I am trying to reach out, find support, and just meet people who get it. Thanks for your blog... I will be following :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn, so good to hear from you!!! Thank you for writing. I am VERY interested in a facebook page especially for people like us who have adult siblings, excellent idea. I haven't seen one yet for siblings of Ds. I think there are a lot for those who have young children with Ds. I understand you desire to meet people who "get it". I'd really love to hear more about your brother. We're in the midst of finding a new home for Erik and it's a very busy time. Moving him will be a hard adjustment for him but we know it's the right thing to do right now. All that to say, if you go ahead and start the process of a facebook page I'd jump right on and I bet others would too.

    ReplyDelete